Breaking News: Due to Covid-19, the 2020 Goldfields Aboriginal Language Awards has been postponed till 2021. Come back here early in 2021 for update info!
The fourth Goldfields Aboriginal Languages Awards is being held in May 2020!
GALC is looking for nominations for the outstanding Goldfields individuals, language champions and heroes that should be recognised for their contributions towards Aboriginal languages.
Nominations for people, organisations and events that you believe should be recognised for their support and promotion of Goldfields Aboriginal languages, is now open.
Members of the public are invited to nominate Goldfields individuals, businesses, institutions, government agencies or businesses they believe should be recognised for their contribution towards the use of or preservation of Aboriginal languages, or for their efforts in developing language learning activities or provision of interpreting and translation services for Aboriginal people.
The Nomination form can be found here.
Nominees must have worked with or been involved with Goldfields Aboriginal languages.
The award categories are:
1. Hall of Fame: Long term commitment by an individual towards the use and preservation of Aboriginal languages.
2. Outstanding educational body promoting Aboriginal language learning.
3. Outstanding business promoting use of Aboriginal languages.
4. Outstanding individual promoting use of Aboriginal languages.
5. Outstanding under 21 year old using or promoting Aboriginal languages.
6. Outstanding individual contribution towards Aboriginal language use and preservation.
7. Outstanding individual, organisation or business promoting interpretation and translating of Aboriginal languages.
8. Outstanding government department or agency promoting use of Aboriginal languages.
Nominees received a letter of congratulation and Award winners were announced at a morning tea and received a framed certificate.
Nomination forms can be posted, emailed or dropped in:
Goldfields Aboriginal Language Centre, 264 Hannan Street, Kalgoorlie WA
Further info, call GALC. (08)9021 3788
The nomination form can be found here.
- Award winners are decided on merit by GALC.
- Canvassing of GALC staff will result in a nomination being withdrawn.
- Race is not a criteria used to determine eligibility.
- Winners will not be eligible for an award in the same category within 10 years.
- Aboriginal languages means Goldfields Aboriginal languages.
- Award winners are final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding winners.